Below are five lies that are quite damaging. These are lies that society and sometimes ‘so-called’ friends want you to believe and which you should be aware of so as to avoid falling into their trap.
1. You are incomplete. Some do their best to convince you that you are not enough as you are. If this is achieved you might begin to feel bad about yourself, they provide you with a solution to make you feel well again: live as they live, do as they do, so you can feel like one of them. Each and every one of us is made Complete by our Creator, he doesn’t make us incomplete, perfection will come in the Kingdom, not on while we’re still human.
2. I can teach you Everything you need. Advertisements want to persuade you to think that anything you desire can be bought. Do you want to feel confident? Then buy this shiny car! Do you feel you’re not attractive to the opposite sex? Then get yourselves some hip shoes! Are you stressed? Then consume these magic pills! Complete and total Joy comes from having a relationship in the Father. I don’t know a single person that has bought everything they thought would satisfy them and who says they are truly happy. There’s always something missing….
3. Material possessions are all that matters in life. Another damaging lie promoted through advertising is that acquiring material things is the key to living well. You needn’t search anywhere else for happiness and fulfillment, such as in pursuing your passions or building healthy relationships with people — there’s always a product that can substitute for all those things.
4. Success is measured by the stuff you own. People try to fool you into believing that if you have less and worse stuff than those around you, then you are a person to be looked down upon, and that the only way to prove your importance is to get more and better stuff than others. This behaviour feels like they are urging you to constantly compare yourself to others and compete with them.
5. Consuming without end is normal. Lastly yet perhaps most importantly, advertisements are trying to convince you that your purpose in life is to consume, and that only by doing so will you fit in society. As a result, they can immensely complicate your life by stressing you to constantly hunt for the next best thing, regardless of how wasteful that behavior is and the negative consequences it has on the planet.
As you can see, the sole purpose is to tell you stuff so that others will like you, to become their pleaser, their best friend, their so you place them on a pedestal and puff up their ego, so they don’t have to face their own reality. The tactics they use to achieve that are hideous and deceptive. The quicker you realize this fact and stop buying into their lies, the more you’ll be able to live free, without feeling the constant pressure to mindlessly waste your time, energy, and the earth’s finite resources to satisfy your artificial needs.
Just causes me to appreciate the people I choose to associate with and the way they choose to interact with me.